This is the final lesson of the Gotch SEO Starter Course.
I’m going to show you several SEO misconceptions that could hamper your results (if you believe them).
Let’s jump right in.
7 SEO Misconceptions to Erase From Your Mind
1. You have to be an expert to get results
You do NOT have to be an expert to get results with SEO.
In fact, anyone with a basic understanding of the principles, can see results.
At a 30,000 foot view, SEO is nothing more than this 4 step process:
- Target a keyword that your website is capable of ranking for
- Create a well-optimized piece of content about the target keyword that is significantly better than what is currently ranking on the first page of Google
- Acquire relevant, authoritative backlinks and social shares for the piece of content
- Make sure that your website is a pleasant experience for users
This is the exact process I explain in great detail within Gotch SEO Academy.
2. It takes a TON of effort to see any results
There is a lot of upfront effort necessary to see results.
Once the organic traffic is coming in, you can take your foot off the gas pedal (if you want).
I recommend that you stay on the gas and continue to grow your traffic forever.
3. SEO doesn’t work
Okay, this one is just ridiculous.
The only people that say “SEO doesn’t work” are those that have ranking for anything.
I wouldn’t have a business if it didn’t work.
4. SEO can be your only lead generation source
As much as you love SEO, you must avoid putting all your eggs in one basket.
Learn social media marketing, content marketing, and even paid ads.
If you have an amazing product or service, your customers will also be your marketing.
Don’t create an average service or product and boost it up with SEO.
Your business will not last. Your BUSINESS is the most important of the equation.
It won’t matter how good your SEO is if your product/service sucks.
5. It takes forever to see results
Yes, SEO does take time to see results. But, if you target the right keywords, you can see organic search traffic within 3 months of a new campaign.
6. You will get penalized
If you are using a content and user-centric strategy, then you won’t need to worry about this.
If you are using a top heavy link building approach, then you might need to worry.
There are only a few ways to get penalized:
- Abuse backlinks
- Do shady stuff (hacking, cloaking, etc)
- Have an awful user experience on your website.
Avoid those things and you won’t need to worry about getting penalized.
Focus on creating incredible content and pleasing your users.
7. SEO changes too fast & it’s not worth keeping up
It’s true: Google changes its algorithm hundreds of times a year. But what’s also true is that it doesn’t matter!
The principles of SEO never change:
Good content + good user experience + high-quality links = good results.
Actions Items for Today:
- Stop learning and start taking ACTION!